Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year! We're going to Disneyland!!!

I feel like one of those old Superbowl commercials...."Kristine, you just found out you have cancer, what are you going to do now?" ha ha ha

It's been crazy with doctor's appointments & tests & blood draws & scans and since Gracie's birthday is on the 13th...yep, we're going to Disneyland. My "baby" is going to be THREE!!! I have a couple friends from my Disneyland days who still work there, plus Coray's uncle Joe has been the drummer in the Disneyland band since like they opened (just KIDDING uncle Joe!) so we have "connections" to get us signed in. Plus Uncle Joe & Aunt Verna let us know we could stay with them so no hotel needed! Yay! Practically free Disneyland trip! We're going to go down the 11th, go to the Parks the 12th & 13th and come home the 14th. It'll be a quick trip but I think we so need it before my surgery, which WAS scheduled on the 15th but got moved (due to a scheduling debacle) to the 21st. I'm pretty sure I've decided to do the double mastectomy because I really don't want to have to go through this EVER again if I can at all avoid it. My insurance company (the jerks) denied the PET scan my Oncologist ordered because you have to be stage 2 or higher, per their "requirements", to qualify for one. Instead I have to have a CT scan (next Monday) & a Bone scan (next Tuesday). And I'm sure two scans are MUCH cheaper than one (insert sarcasm). I don't know, maybe they are but it's just ONE more test I have to have before surgery. Oh well, not like I have anything better to do & what's one more stick with a needle? (insert more sarcasm)

I ended up getting an infection & had to go to the doctor. He told me they were going to give me an antibiotic shot & they asked me if I was ok with needles. I think they were a little worried for a second when I started to laugh.

Everyone keeps asking me how I feel & for the record.... I feel fine! I guess that's one of the crazy things about cancer. I'm not nervous...yet. I know as it gets closer I will be. Focusing on other things, like Disneyland, is helping. Recovery is going to be difficult & chemo is not going to be a picnic. I was sitting outside with a couple of my friends the other day & our kids were all playing. It was probably in the upper 50's & I was getting chilly. I just kept thinking about how cold my ears were going to get without hair! I definitely need to get some hats & scarves & such. I should start really looking into that!

7 comments:

salgal said...

Disneyland will be just what the doctor ordered to get your mind on the fun things in life. Have fun!!

Dave Alleman said...

Have so much fun at Disneyland! Don't buy any hats until after the party.
Do you have a date for me yet?
Skye

Vicky said...

Kristine-it's all taken care of. We went to the Oakland temple the other day and put your name in, so no more worries. Oh and don't get hats. Get those sweet old lady turbans that they sell at the 99 cent store. Those are way better than hats, and cheaper, too. Peace-and eat a turkey leg for me. Yum!

Super B said...

I hope you have a great Disneyland trip!! I just came to check your blog and I now know the horrible news. You sound like you are handling it very well. Please know that you will be in our prayers. Take care!!

Kim-Elicious said...

Disney is going to be so much fun for all of you. To be able to focus on the fun and the girls what a great way to spend 3 days. Have a blast and know that you are in my prayers and thought about daily.

Super B said...

Hey, my sister Rachel has tried to view your blog but she isn't an invited reader. Could you invite her please? Here is her email address...
justrach3@silverstar.com

Thanks. Have a great time at Disney!

Featherstones said...

Kristine~
Hey! I'm glad to hear about Disneyland! That's the way to go!
I love the quote from Joshua. :)
Only you!
Amber